|Adding the soap coloring|
I started with a layer of pink, followed by alternating black, pink, white, pink and so forth. I finally gave up on using the squirt bottles when the soap got too thick to squeeze out of the bottles. At this point I just made thin layers with a spatula.
After getting all of my soap in my molds, I insulated the whole thing. After checking on it I found that I had some water pooling from adding water to the squeeze bottles to get as much of the soap out as possible. This water was added after the soap had been at trace for about half an hour so I wasn't worried about lye being in the liquid. I put the soap in the oven at 170* for about a half hour. After an hour it still looked like it had too much liquid so I did another half hour @ 170*. Then I left the soap in the oven without opening it for the night. I got busy and forgot to take it out. BIG mistake!
|All trimmed neat & tidy|
We promptly carried the soap outside to cool. After the soap had cooled completely, I started unmolding it. I started by cutting the bungee cord off. Next I took the soap out of the mold. The liner had melted to the soap. I cut all six of the sides off of the soap. I took about a half inch off of each side. I sliced the remaining soap in half length wise, before slicing it into bars.
I know that I will do a different design next time, and hopefully I won't loose any soap.
I am linking with the following blogs: